Monday, July 21, 2008

No Horse Meat Here!!

It's a rare occasion when I get to go to the grocery store alone. When I do, I enjoy my "quiet" time without the family bugging me for soda and pudding. On this day trip, Publix had tables set up with sushi samples and other goodies. I was stopping and sampling, trying to ignore a man who was huffing and puffing around the meat department. As I moved away I saw the Meat Manager step out from the back. "Huffy-Puffy" and he start talking. I roll my eyes and walk off as I hear Huffy-Puffy start complaining in a very thick French accent about the lack of international fair.
The manager asked him exactly this, "Sir if you tell me what you desire I can see what we can do for you." (Our Publix is like that, great customer service.) Huffy-Puffy says lovely, what I really would like to enjoy this evening is....... Okay I can't remember exactly what the dish was called now, but I did have cheval in the title. I stopped dead in my tracks. The manager looked confused and asked him what exactly was in this wonderful dish. Well I spun my cart around, hit the spice and condiment display in front of the Seafood display and yelled it's horse meat!!! I was fuming! The man looked down a me from his pointy nose and with a smirk said yes.... exactly horsemeat!
LOL The manager looked at me and him with big round eyes and said "OHHH I am sorry I didn't realize that is what you were asking for, we don't have that here". Huffy-Puffy started to complain again when I pounced. "Do you know where your beloved cheval comes from? It comes from our American horses! They are tortured and sent to inhumane slaughter houses. Do you know what you are eating? The carcinogens, the chemicals? Wormer, steroids, medications? Don't you people realize what you are putting in your bodies? In THIS country horses are fed feed from bags that say DO NOT USE ON ANIMALS MEANT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION.
He started to get really red, really really mad. Next thing I know I feel the managers hand on my shoulder pulling me away, gently. As I walked away he started spouting in French, probably something along the lines about that Crazy American Lady, but my French is lacking.
The manager's face was pasty white, he didn't know what to say. I looked at him and told him I was sorry. I work in horse rescue, am fighting to end horse slaughter along with millions of other Americans and gave him my email address. I also told him in detail how bad the horses are treated and if Publix ever considered adding Horse Meat to satisfy the European consumer they would lose 1000's of customers. He told me that he didn't think Publix would ever do it and thanked me for the education. I think he was a little afraid of me too.

So that was my story.
I saw the manager the other day and he said when I left the French guy said I didn't know what I was talking about!

Kind Regards,
Laura Boothby
Pure Thoughts, Inc
www.pthr.org


A Stand 4 The Horses

Equine Welfare & Rescue Education
http://www.myspace.com/4thehorses

No comments: