Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Journey Home: The Story of A Broker Horse

This week AC4H, and their network, worked very hard to save the lives of the broker horses who were at high risk of going to slaughter. I was reminded of Lily Reba, a little arab mare that many people fell in love with and worked very hard to save. I wanted to revisit her story today. So here is Lily Reba's story in her own voice...........................
I am not sure how I ended up here, but I am sure glad I have. Please gather around ladies and hear my story. I can't remember all the details, but I do remember how it all made me feel........
I was born an Arabian Princess. I was dainty, but quick on my feet. My Mama was so proud of me and how a swept across the fields faster than the wind. I think I was a happy filly and as I grew I learned to except humans as part of my herd. I knew I was special, as all horses are, but when you are born an Arabian Princess who is quick on her feet and as smart as a whip you learn to hold your head up high and prance with elegance and grace.
When I became a young mare I learned to carry humans on my back. It was scary at first, but I learned to trust them as my ancestor had. Now this is where my memory gets foggy. One day I remember hurting my leg very badly and my humans did nothing to help me. It is possible I was left in a pasture or stall for a very long time and considered useless. You would think because of my royal heritage I would be treated better. I have since learned this happens to many more horses than I ever imagined! I think because of the pain and hurt I learned to forget the betrayal of my humans. One day my humans didn't want to take care of me anymore and made me leave on what humans call a horse trailer....you know those big black caves. I was scared but again I did as I was told.
I can't remember how long my ride was, but I sure didn't like where they took me. It was loud and smelled of fear. There were so many animals and humans all of them yelling and sweaty. It was early spring and I started to very chilly. I kept getting pushed around and stepped on. The other horses around kept saying how they hoped their humans would come back soon. I had a feeling none of us would see our humans ever again. Sometime later I was taken into a area where a whole lot of people stared at me. Not many seemed to like the looks of me, but one man with kinder eyes then most raised his hand and nodded at me. I hoped this was a good sign.
I soon found myself in another one of those caves on wheels, this time I had some travel mates. We ended up at a big red barn. There were many horses, all different shapes, sizes and colors. I wish I could say I enjoyed this time with so many beautiful creatures, but the truth was I was starting to feel very sick. Every day my nose got stuffier and then I had a fever. The doctor said I had pneumonia, I don't know what that is but I sure felt sick and I wouldn't wish it on the grumpiest mare.
Rumor had it that I had found a new human but because I was sick I wouldn't be able to go home yet. First they had to send me to Horse Spa and Recovery. I wish I could say I was a good patient but I was not. I wouldn't eat and I got sicker before I got better. I lost so much weight because I wouldn't eat. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. To tell you the truth I was a little sad. I was so hoping to go to my new home right away, but humans have rules and we have to follow them. I have learned that it was for the best. I made a good friend in a pony who drove up in the cave with me. I will miss him,but I know he is going to his forever home too.
It took me a while to get better, but when I did I knew that I would soon be coming home. The nice ladies told me I would have a new home with 4 other ladies, and best yet they all knew how I felt. All of them had been thrown away after being used up and injured by their former humans. The nice ladies told me how many people had come together to save my life from a horrible fate. I was so excited to meet my new Pasture Pals!! Most of all I was so thankful to all of th humans who didn't give up on me and thought I was worth my weight in gold.
So ladies that is how I ended up here with you. I look around at you all in amazement. We all have come from different places, but our story is almost the same. An Arabian Princess with a crooked front leg, a Standardbred matriarch who hobbles about with 2 bad fronts legs, a paso/QH who has had her knee blown out. Oh and of course the Alpha mare, who recently lost her pasture mate. She is all Paso Fino, tiny thing that she is. I can't wait to hear all of your stories ladies.A very special home we have here with Ms. Randa our super human lady. She says she knew I belonged here and she cried the day she knew I was coming home. I also heard how she plans on having a special brace made for my bad back leg!! She told me of how many humans waited to hear I was safe and sound. They waited to hear my journey was done. I am glad to say that it is. I have truly found a home.
Thank You humans.... all of you!!!! Because of you I have a new forever home in NY!! Thank you to all the other rescues (horses) who gave me support. I am so happy to be home!! I already took a nap and strolled in my new pasture!!!
Sweet Nickers to All,
Lily Reba (Reba for short)
PS. Special Thanks To Christy for telling everyone I needed help.

No comments: